The experienced Redlands bicycle accident attorneys at Harsh Law can help you recover full compensation for your injuries. Biking is an excellent form of exercise and a very inexpensive form of transportation. It can be less than enjoyable when a bike ride turns into an accident. Bicycle accidents can quickly cause catastrophic injuries because you don’t have much protection from the elements and the impact. Our job is to help guide you through this difficult time. One of our Redlands bicycle accident attorneys would be glad to sit down with you for a free consultation to go over what your legal options are and how to get you the most compensation possible.
Types of Bike Accident Injuries
Bike accidents, as mentioned prior, are potentially catastrophic. You take the full impact from a car or truck and then you have the added consequences of the impact with the ground if you’re thrown from the bike. The most common types of bike accident injuries include:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Concussion or traumatic brain injury
- Tendon, nerve, or tissue damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injury
These injuries have the potential to permanently damage you and change your life forever. The good thing about a bike accident claim is that the amount of compensation you get is related to your injuries. If you are severely injured from your bike accident, you won’t just be offered a flat rate award. It will be awarded based on your medical bills, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Our job as California bicycle accident lawyers is to get you the most compensation possible. The job of the liable party’s insurance company is to limit their financial payout – which is in direct conflict with getting the largest settlement entitled. Insurance companies would be happy if you got no compensation whatsoever.
- They want to reduce or eliminate your claim.
- They do this by asking you for a recorded statement.
- They will call you very shortly after the accident while you are still recovering, and they will ask you to give them a recorded statement. You should never give them a statement.
- They are trained to ask you questions that will make you seem like you are the at-fault party in the incident. You should tell them that if they have any questions, they can ask your attorney.
- They will change their tactics as soon as an attorney represents you.
After the Accident, Seek Medical Attention First
Your body and your physical health are more important than anything following the accident. If you are knocked unconscious, odds are you will be taken in an ambulance to the emergency room. If you are conscious but feel like you are too injured to move or to do anything at the scene, you should also get in the ambulance.
The second reason you should seek immediate medical attention is to begin the process of having professional third-party documentation of your injuries.
After receiving medical attention, take some time to collect evidence. For those who are unable to, you can have a friend, family member, or attorney do this part for you. Photos and videos need to be taken of any physical evidence of the scene. That includes your bike, the other car, any debris in the street, the tire marks, a general overview video of the whole area, etc. Anything you think is important probably is. You also want contact info from witnesses as well as the insurance info from the driver who hit you.
One Call to Harsh Law
One of the most common accidents in Southern California is bicycle collisions with vehicles. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, it’s important to hire the right attorney. Here are three steps to finding the right attorney for your case:
- One, find an attorney who’s got experience in dealing with bicycle crashes.
- Second, get somebody who focuses on that area, and doesn’t just dabble in it.
- Third, get a trial attorney. They’re difficult cases and insurance companies will take more care to stay out of the courtroom.
Harsh Law is a personal injury law firm that proudly serves communities throughout Southern California. Give our expert legal team a call at 909-793-6261 for a free case evaluation.